Spanish Patatas Bravas Recipe
Patatas Bravas is my favorite snack of all time! Literally meaning Spicy Potatoes! Patatas means “potatoes” and Bravas meaning “spicy or fierce” which would be the sauce. Who wouldn’t want to eat that? Patatas Bravas are really yummy & fried/baked potatoes tossed in a very “refined” spicy tomato sauce.. that will leave your mouth watering and wanting for more of this delicious goodness! This dish comes in the category of “Tapas” which are the side dishes or snacks typically served in Bars and Restaurants all around Spain. All you need to do is to follow the recipe along with me to make this goodness and then… just eat it away!
To make this dish, you’ll need the following ingredients at home :
For the Potatoes :
1) 500gms Golden Potatoes (they’ve got to be very big in size to have nice wedges)
2) 5 tbsp. Olive Oil
For the Spicy Brava sauce :
1) 1 Small Onion
2) 4-5 Garlic Cloves
3) 250 grams Can of Chopped Juicy & Ripe tomatoes!
4) ½ teaspoon chili powder
5) One pinch of sugar
6) 1 tbsp. Tomato Puree
7) 2 tbsp. Paprika Powder
8) Fresh Parsley
For Garlic Aioli :
1) 6 tbsp. Mayonnaise
2) Chopped garlic cloves – 4
3) A little Lemon juice
PREPARING THE “PATATAS”
1. Peel and Cut the potatoes in the shape of either wedges or 2 inches square cubes (the shape really depends upon your choice).
2. Boil some water in a deep pan and then add a pinch of salt to it.
3. Now add in the potatoes and cook them till they’re half cooked. You can use a fork to poke and check if they’re cooked or not.
4. Wash them with cold water, right after the cooking is done.
5. Now coat these in olive oil and then bake them in the oven at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes until they become crispy on the outside (You can use a microwave too if you don’t have an oven) OR you can air fry them as well (because that doesn’t require any oil and makes it extra crispy!).
PREPARING THE SPICY BRAVAS TOMATO-EY SAUCE!
1. On a medium flame, put on a pan and add some olive oil to it.
2. Now, add finely chopped garlic to the sauté for a good 2 minutes.
3. After sweating the garlic, add some finely chopped onions and cook them for 4 minutes too.
4. Then add those juicy canned tomatoes (you can add freshly chopped tomatoes too but they’ll take more time to make) to the pan.
5. Now add the tomato paste/puree (whatever is available) and then the remaining spices – sugar, paprika, dried oregano and chili powder. Also don’t forget some salt and pepper!
6.Cook for 15-20 minutes on a low heat and then our amazing sauce is ready!
FOR THE GARLIC AIOLI
1. Add the mayonnaise to a bowl and mix it up with chopped garlic.
2. End with a good squeeze of lime juice!
NOW, TO SERVE..
1. Add some chopped parsley on the potatoes (if you don’t have it then exchange with some coriander leaves). Serve these fried “Patatas” or potatoes with a side of sauce and our garlic mayonnaise!
2. Or the best way to serve is by arranging these fried potatoes in a nice bowl or a plate and then drizzling them with this spicy “brava” sauce and the garlic aioli. Sprinkle some chopped parsley at the end. And there you go, your “Patatas Bravas” are ready!
Serve these at a home party.. to making this as a breakfast in the morning, this dish can do wonders when done right. Enjoy and entertain guests.. As they will definitely love these party poppers and will remember them always!